Thursday, March 24, 2011

La Mouche, et autres histoires

Hey guys! Just a quickie update while I'm sitting here listening to one of my flatmates play guitar. They have Lundi de la Guitare here (Guitar Monday), which is pretty much where people get together and have drinks while students/local folks play guitar. I've never been, but apparently he plays it sometimes.

So the exchange rate has gone bonkers. I have stopped checking it, because I had a miniature heart attack Sunday when I looked online and it was $1.42 to €1. Make it stop please dear God I beseech you.

Last weekend I went back to Leuven! RANDOM FACTS: Belgium has 3 official languages--French, Dutch, and German. The German speaking people pretty much live in a corner of the country and are in no way/shape/form important because there's like 5 of them, and everyone knows that the French and the Dutch hate each other. As a result, every city in Belgium has 2 names: the Dutch name, and the French name. Leuven is the Dutch name for Louvain (not to be confused with Louvain-la-Neuve, because they are different). I think Leuven sounds better, but when I come home from the weekend and say, "I was in Leuven," people look at me like I'm crazy because they have no idea where I'm talking about. It's kind of funny.

Anyway, we wanted to eat Mexican food, but apparently you have to have reservations to get in ANYWHERE in Leuven on the weekends so we ended up at (you guessed it) PIZZA HUT.

Now, I can't stand Pizza Hut. Y'all know I don't like it. The crust is soggy and the pizza sauce tastes like metal (at least to me). THIS WAS HONESTLY THE MOST DELICIOUS THING I'VE EVER EATEN IN MY LIFE. I wanted to curl up in a ball under the table and just live there for the rest of my life. Euro Pizza Hut > American Pizza Hut. I kid you not.

I've had a hard week. I came out of one funk to be literally, physically, and metaphorically thrown into another one. But it's a beautiful day in Louvain-la-Neuve, and I will rejoice and be glad in it. (srsly, it's like 60° and beautiful I'd be a fool not to)

That was depressing. To lighten the mood, I'll show you what I call "La Mouche".


It is giant. It is a fly (la mouche = the fly). It is a statue. Yayaaaa.

No comments:

Post a Comment