Monday, February 14, 2011

Valumtime's Day!

Happy Valentine's Day to you lot! I hope you had an amazing day full of chocolates and/or general splendor. I had a great day getting haircuts and lunch with my Valentine Kim (one of the girls here from Clemson), and going to the movies with my other Valentines, The Karens and Nick! Nick was even a darling and brought chocolate.

I know y'all are like, "I DON'T CARE ABOUT CHOCOLATE WHAT DO YOU MEAN HAIRCUT." Calm down. It's not that big a deal. Kim and I spent Saturday scouring Brussels for hair salons because she really wanted to do something to her hair, and I figured, "You're in Europe. Why not get a fashionable bang/layer combo?" so I went along. Turns out it's cheaper to get it done here in Louvain-la-Neuve, so today we went to CN Celini to get our hurr did. Kim's hair looks great. The girl that did it, however, was nervously eying me the entire time she was washing Kim out, and when I said, "Just do a side bang." because I was not going to risk layers with Nervous McTwitcherton, she seriously cut 2 strands of hair and declared herself done. Thank goodness I told her to cut it long, so I don't look ridiculous. I'm just going to have to suck it up and find my way to Matongé to get my hair done, it seems.

We went to see Rien à Declarer, a comedy about these French and Belgian customs officers who work in a town directly on the border between France and Belgium. The Belgium officer hates French things/people, and the French officer is having an affair with his sister. It was hilarious! It didn't help that the only song in the movie was "I Believe I Can Fly" by R. Kelly. Yes. The song from Space Jam. I almost cried I was laughing so hard. The cinema is 5 € for everyone on Mondays, so we just made a date of it.

I think that's it... I made garlic green beans for Sunday dinner and they were apparently a smash hit! Before this is over, I will know how to cook. Watch.

Things I've learned about Belgium:
1. PDA is everywhere. People will stop in the middle of the road to start kissing. They don't need an excuse like Valentine's Day.
2. Rain is to Belgium as fog is to London. I will just have to learn to live with it
3. The SPAR is the only grocery store in Louvain-la-Neuve that is open on Sundays apart from the White Knight, but that is all the way up the mountain (i.e., very far from me)
4. Dogs here pretty much have free reign, but they're pretty well trained
5. In Belgium, it can go from being gorgeous and warm outside to raining to freezing. In the same day. In a 5 hour period.

1 comment:

  1. Bre, you have to take a picture of the bang and post it for everyone to see. That is, if yu can find it. I have told everyone at work about you "non hair/bang cut" and we have laughed till it hurt. I still have that vision of that partial bang. Did you ever find the rest of it? OMG! That was the funniest story I've heard in quite a while. "Nervous McTwitcherton", I absolutely love it!

    ReplyDelete