Monday, January 31, 2011

Photo bomber!

Soooo I know I promised a photo dump last night and I didn't do it. I'm sorry. But you're getting it now!

Czech money! The ones that are copper-looking around the edges are 50 kč, and the silver ones are 2 kč. I have 20s too; they're gold, and look like the 2s. I saved some to bring home!

St. Nicholas Church in Old Town Square, right behind our hotel. It's so pretty! And it's in the Baroque style!

Those things poking out of the top of those buildings are actually the towers of the Church of Our Lady before Týn (Kostel Matky Boží před Týnem in Czech), also in Old Town Square, which is, quite frankly, the most terrifying church I've ever seen. It is tall and spiky and it literally scares me. Go to Wikipedia and look at it and see if it doesn't scare you too. Of course, because it is ancient and huge and impressive looking/generally imposing, I also love it with all my heart.

Old Town city hall, also in Old Town Square

The Prague astronomical clock (Pražský orloj in Czech) on the side of Old Town city hall! The astrological clock on the bottom supposedly has a lot of cult symbols in it.

One of the statues on the Charles Bridge (Karlův most in Czech)! 30 statues decorate the sides of the bridge, and they're all really intense looking and full of religious imagery (2 of my favorite characteristics in art/architecture).

THE PALACE. The two main statues on the gate (the ones in the center) were intense and murderous: homeboy on the right has a bat and is about to bludgeon someone; dude on the left has a dagger and is about to stab the other guy in the neck. INTENSE. Don't mess with the Czechs, man.





That, my friends, is Saint Vitus Cathedral, Katedrála svatého Víta in Czech. Yes, it's the one that took 600 years to build. The original architects died, leaving the building unfinished, and it wasn't until the 19th century that the Czechs hired new architects to finish it. The 2 guys who finished the cathedral actually had themselves sculpted into it; there are 2 statues hiding out over the front door of 2 men in 19th century clothes!

Inside of St. Vitus Cathedral! I walked in and just sort of stared with my mouth open. I repeat: old, impressive church = love it.

I assume this was a minor altar in the cathedral.

This was just in the middle of the street. I'm not joking. Look at that blue sky! O Sunlight, how I miss thee.

Coolest synagogue ever! THE ROSE WINDOW IS THE STAR OF DAVID. We found this on accident, trying to get to... I don't even know where we were trying to go. It was on a street called "Jeruzalémská". Prague has a huge Jewish quarter; I think this may have been on the fringes of it.

The National Museum!

The main staircase in the National Museum! It looks JUST LIKE the opera house in the Disney version of Anastasia.

My favorite building was hands down Saint Vitus Cathedral. Old gothic/Baroque churches make my life, and it was done in BOTH styles because of the gap in construction. Plus (this is completely superficial), I just like to see the church glorified.

I should have been an architect so I could make important looking churches. I have realized this, and am coming to terms with it.

In other (good) news, I FOUND A BLACK HAIR SALON IN LOUVAIN-LA-NEUVE ON THE WAY TO CLASS TODAY AND I THINK THEY SELL MY BRAND OF HAIR CARE PRODUCT YOU HAVE NO IDEA HOW MUCH THIS EXCITES ME OR MAYBE YOU DO.

Okay. I'm gonna go calm down now.

6 comments:

  1. finally, your hair crisis is resolved!
    and BUH i loooove churches! i'm hella excited about this prague excursion we're taking this weekend. yay! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful! My fav is the photo of you standing in front of the astronomical clock (not to fond of the cult issue - but oh well). You look so "posh" with your hair pulled back in a "bun" - even in cuffed jeans! Love it! Auntie is at work right now but will definitely log on to elaborate & comment on the other pics later.
    {{{{smooches}}}}

    ReplyDelete
  3. Look out belooooooow! Wow - you certainly did take a lot of photos.

    You know how your professors always say "No question is a dumb question," or "There are no dumb questions"? Well, here goes...is the 200 on the paper bill similar to the 100 on our $100 dollar bill? I love the color of their money, but I could do without looking at that man - he gives me the heebie-jeebies (sp?).

    Their structures remind me of my history classes, with the exception of one thing - there aren't any gargoyles. I kept trying to figure out what was missing, and finally tonight, I know what it is - the gargoyles! Their buildings have statues of people instead. I'm sure there's some meaning behind them, probably some famous King or something, and I'm certain you'll be giving me a lesson on the difference, in the future, therefore I will not bother "googling" it. :-)

    Looking at the inside & outside of some of their buildings sort of reminds me of the tour I took at the Biltmore House in Asheville. Especially the ones of the National Museum. Hmmm, I wonder if the Biltmore/Vanderbilt's have roots in Belgium/France, etc? That's probably a dumb question too, I get the feeling there's an obvious answer to that. Hold on...brb...Yep! I knew it! I couldn't help myself. I decided to "google" it and sure enough - the Biltmore House's architecture was modeled after 16th-century France! Look how much I'm learning as a result of YOUR trip! Cool huh?! Anyhoo...back to the structures in Czech - I sure hope they don't smell as old as the Biltmore House, but something tells me they probably do - besides, they are old/ancient historical structures, that have been around for hundreds of years, so why on earth would I think they'd smell like a brand new home? Duh!

    Love that sunny blue sky! I hoped you soaked up enough Vitamin D to last you for a few weeks! You're going to need it if the weather is still the same as when you left. I've come up with the perfect song for your "rainy day blues" - here's the link. Let me know what you think! LOL!

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VpJsaq5UVVc&feature=related

    OMG! St. Vitus Cathedral is jaw-dropping! I would've just stood there in awe as well. Can you imagine a wedding in that sanctuary (Is that what they're called in cathedrals? Probably not.). Imagine a church so huge, it has a "minor altar" with a "major chandelier" Ha! I made a funny! :-). No wonder it took 600 years to build!

    Hey - who lives in the Palace?

    Love,love, love the synagogue! The pastel pink & blue colors remind me of a baby's nursey - boy/girl twins! LOL! I'm on a roll now! I'll bet it really stands out amongst all of those other drab structures.

    Well, I'm at my part-time job, so I guess I'd better do some of the work they're paying me to do. i noticed you've blogged about your first day of classes - can't wait to read how that's going!

    Love<3, love<3, love<3!
    Auntie
    Excuse me...make that Proud Auntie! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Similar as in the way it looks? I guess they sort of look alike, but 200 kc is more easily equated to $10 in buying things. Most meals will run you about that much, even at sit-in restaurants.

    There are gargoyles on St. Vitus! I just didn't get a picture of them. The ones on the cathedral also double as drain, so they vomit water when it rains/snow melts. Speaking of St. Vitus and weddings, when we were there at least 2 girls were in their gowns getting their wedding photos taken

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow beautiful structures. The Churches are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh so I forgot to mention before. You think the czech currency is worth nothing, when I went to India it was 45 rubies to a dollar!

    Also did you know that cathedral regularly took 100 years or more to build and the older section would often having age related problems while the newer section was being finished?

    ReplyDelete