Friday, January 28, 2011

PRAHA

GUYS. I love Prague. Seriously. I love it. It's cold, and it snowed for 2 days (blegh, says the Southerner), but it's a beautiful place (albeit a little sketchy looking in some parts) and the people are friendly and everything is so impressive! I love it.

First and foremost, I must gush about today. Lately, I've been all grumbly and depressed acting because of the lack of sunlight in Louvain-la-Neuve (it seriously rains EVERYDAY), and today... IT WAS SUNNY IN PRAGUE. We walked out of the hotel and I felt like a kid on Christmas with too many presents. I hope tomorrow is gorgeous as well!

Today, we toured the castle panorama, which is on top of this MONSTROUS mountain/hill. I swear, if I don't have the best legs/bum in America by the time this is over I will eat the large furry hat I bought from a souvenir shop today. There was a church that took 600 years to build, and galleries, and so much grandeur I didn't know what to do with myself!

Y'all know how cheap I am. Seriously. I could get blood out of the metaphorical turnip, which is why I must reiterate that the Czech koruna is worth absolutely nothing. It's fallen 2 ck against the US dollar in the 3 days since we've been here, so I'm in cheap stuff heaven, unlike in Louvain-la-Neuve. Right now, $1 US is worth almost 18 ck. It kills me though, because there's very good stuff in the Czech Republic, but it's not priced accordingly. Food around here, for example, is therefore very cheap: tonight is the first night I've spent more than $7 US on dinner, and that was just because we splurged a bit and went to this nice Italian place we found the other night. I had spicy spaghetti, and it was delicious. Speaking of the food, I'm glad y'all asked about it because I was going to tell you.

I have discovered that I like Czech food. It's got much more of a German influence than I expected it to, what with all the sauerkraut and sausages, but it's also Slavic food, like dumplings and grog (yes, grog) and garlic soup. Garlic soup is supposed to be a big thing around here, or so Karen said, but we only found it at 3 places. We had it today at lunch while we were touring the castle and I liked it. Garlic is one of my favorite things ever, so that was pretty much a guarantee.

The Czech Republic is also famous for its apple strudel, so I tried it. Hated it. Absolutely hated it. To be fair, I knew I would hate it when I ordered it. I don't like cooked fruit; never have, never will, but it's a big deal around here according to Karen, so I thought I'd try it for the cultural experience. THERE WERE RAISINS. I HATE RAISINS. I was honestly grimacing the entire time I was eating it. It was a well made apple strudel, sure, and the drizzling of chocolate sauce helped, but it's just not something I would eat ever again. Ever.

All in all, there's a varied food scene in Prague. Apart from traditional Czech food, there are lots of Italian restaurants and Chinese places, and there's a Parisian cafe down the street from our hotel. There's also KFC and McDonald's. I've actually seen more KFCs than McDonald's, which is very random/odd.

We've been to every souvenir shop in the general vicinity of our hotel, and even some in the Jewish quarter. There are Swarovski crystal shops EVERYWHERE, and nearly every souvenir shop sells crystal and glass figurines. They're very cute, but can get a bit pricey.

I was standing around in the souvenir shop the other night, waiting on either Karen or Annie to finish buying stuff, and one of the shop owners came over and talked to me. He was a nice Arab man, and he must have heard me say something in my funny accent to one of the other girls (we've been running around Prague pretending to be British) and asked me if I spoke French. I answered him, in French of course, and he started asking me other things, also in French. He asked me if I was African, and I said, "No, I'm from America, but I guess that counts as being of African origin, yeah?" We had a laugh over it, and it turns out that he was from Tunisia, where the first in this latest series of Arab uprisings was. We chatted a bit more; he said he assumed I was African because lots of African countries speak French as their official language (which is true). I told him that all of my professors think I'm Haitian (which they seriously do), and we had a laugh over it. When the other girls were finished, we said goodbye. He really was a very nice man.

You guessed it. I'm about to get introspective/political.

I find it much less offensive when people here assume I'm anything other than American. One, they don't run into very many Americans, not as many as other English speaking Europeans anyway, so it's just not the first thing they assume. Also, to be frank, there's not very many black people in Europe, as evidenced by the fact that I can't even find freaking hair grease in Louvain-la-Neuve, and most of the ones that are here came from (gasp) Africa, seeing as it's so close. I guess it seems more like a natural train of thought that when a European (or African/Arab immigrant, as in this case) sees me that they assume I'm African, and not insulting like it is when my American professors (and high school teachers) say to me everyday "Are you Haitian?" or "Is there any French in your family?" No. If they want to get technical, if I can for sure claim any European country as my heritage, it is Germany (hoorah for the Subers out of Clinton!). In America, it just seems like they look at me and go, "Oh, she's ethnic (I hate that word) and can speak another language; obviously she's not a regular black person and that language is in her heritage." It's demeaning to me, and I take it very personally.

I've also taken a bajillion pictures, but you'll have to wait until Sunday to see them. Know why? I'm a complete and total boob and left my camera cable back in Louvain-la-Neuve. Who's brilliant? I am!

Srsly though. Tune in Sunday for a photo dump.

Things I have learned:

1. They do not split tabs in Europe. It is therefore best to carry around bills.
2. Grog is real. It is a drink. No, I did not try it.
3. In the Czech Republic, beer is cheaper than water (surprise)
4. It is the Czech Republic. Not Czechoslovakia.
5. I like sauerkraut.

5 comments:

  1. So you received the snow you missed while away from home - whoopee!!!! And on top of that, you were blessed to have sunshine and blue skies! The stars are all lining up in your favor little girl and boy does that feel good!

    Grog? Uh-uh...that just sounds unappetizing. Is it pureed frog and a liquid some sort? Probably beer! HaHaHa! Just kidding!

    Um Bre...how can it take 600 years to build a church??!!! That puts a whole new take on "...the stone that the builder's rejected". LOL! Srsly - that an amazing tale!

    Hey! I have a question. Since things are so very cheap in the Czech Republic, do they have designer items i.e, bags and shoes? You know Louis Vuitton, Christian Louboutin, Prada, etc.? If so, are they "more affordable" there as well? If so, I wear a 9.5 or 10 and I'll take a Louis Vuitton purse any day! :-)

    I'm with you on the strudel thing - the only cooked fruit I'm going to partake of is your father's peach pie. Other than that, why go ruin a good thing and cook it until it wilts into a mushy, tough texture? I'll pass! If God wanted it cooked, he would have created it raw and not edible in it's raw form. Hmmm...I just realized a strudel is different than a streusel. I thought either you or I misspelled the word, but after googling it, I discovered one is a dessert item and one is more of a pie that is cut into servings. Just sayin'...

    McDonald's are a 'dime a dozen' all over the world, but who would've thought? Good old Kentucky Fried Chicken in the Czech Republic! I know, I know, they'd prefer, that you refer to it as "KFC" nowadays. Yeah, yeah, yeah - the colonel named it Kentucky Fried Chicken, so that's what I'm going to call it. Old habits are hard to break. ;-)

    You're such the tourist - every souvenir shop in the area? I'll bet that's why you were approached! LOL! The word has spread, "there is a young American group of chaps in town...here come the sales, here come the sales!"

    Haitian? Really! Some things just really "get my goat" and that is one them! Nuff said...keep the goat.

    I will anxiously await the "bajillion pictures" photo dump!

    Hey - the practice of "not splitting tabs" would totally take care of the "going dutch" tradition on a first date. Can you imagine what it would feel like for a guy to ask for his money to be returned, after paying the tab on a date? He'd really be known as "el cheapo"! Love it!

    I see you're still using that line..."beer is cheaper than water". No comment! ROTFL!

    Sauerkraut is good but the Americanized version is a little too salty for me. Is it very salty there? When we were small children, Mama used to cook it with franks, a.k.a Oscar Meyer wieners! "Oh I wish I were an Oscar Meyer Weiner..." and I digress!

    I tried to SKYPE you, but you weren't on - must be exploring Prague, or the Czech Republic, or wherever in the world you are. Hey that's a good one..."Where in the world is "Alyssa Breanna"! :-) I like it!

    Blessings & Safe Travels!

    Love, love, love...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can't wait to see your new legs & bums!;-) Ha!Ha!Ha!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Bre Bre! I see I have a lot of catching up to do (eyes looking down at the extended text below, lol!)I'm loving your blog layout! It was good to hear your voice on this early afternoon....for you, the evening:) I'm soooo in love with the pics of the castle and historic buildings, nice architectural details. Continue to post more and I look forward to talking to you soon! And Adrian says once again, "Hey Gravy!"

    Continue to enjoy the experience and soak in all the memories.

    We Love You!

    ReplyDelete
  4. @ Aunt Sonya: I didn't drink any beer at all! Seriously though, at one place we went beer was 24 kc, and water was 79. I am not joking. And yes. My teachers really think I'm Haitian, or otherwise have French in my background. I am neither.

    @ The Jacksons: thanks, and I love you guys too! Be sure to check out the photo dump I just added :]

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope this doesn't get annoying because I very well might be commenting on a lot of these. So in this post:

    1. Yes I hate cooked fruit and raisins as well. Good on you for being adventurous. I just wouldn't have eaten it at all.

    2. Actually up until very recently the largest fast food restaurant chain in the world was KFC (might still be actually, I just vaguely remember something about it being knocked down). I would imagine that it might have something to do with its focus being chicken. They are easier to raise and require less resources and land and every one eats them unlike cows.

    ReplyDelete